Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Circadian

I have an 18-year-old former student volunteering in my class for the next few week as part of her high school's "senior experience." M. is planning to study education in college, and is both an excellent writer and a really nice kid. In the two days she's been with me so far, she spent day one observing. (Does it bring you right back to 6th grade? I asked her. A little, she confessed, and if I yawn? It's because I was up late last night.)

On day two, I gave her a choice of jumping in and interacting with the kids, or adding some data to a spreadsheet. Still a bit reticent, she chose the record-keeping chore, which was actually extremely helpful to me. When lunchtime rolled around, I stepped out to use the restroom and returned to my room to find her bag on the table, but no sign of the kid. A little while later the construction out the window drew my attention, and when I walked over there I was startled to find M snoozing on the pillows. I let her sleep until the kids barreled back from recess.

Ready for round two? I asked her, and she hopped right up.

No comments:

Post a Comment