Friday, May 18, 2018

A Breath of Fresh Air

It's official-- the middle schoolers have

lost.
their.
minds!

It's May; it's Friday; testing has started; there was an assembly after lunch; it's been raining all week, and I cannot count the number of ridiculous redirections I was forced to make today. Even the kids who are usually super-compliant are pushing the limits. For example, I confiscated the iPad of a straight-A student for showing a picture of a yawning bulldog to anyone who would have a look after three explicit warnings.

After lunch she stopped by my room. "I forgot my iPad here," she told me.

"Forgot?" I repeated skeptically. "You didn't actually have your iPad when the bell rang."

"Oh, yes," she said. "About that? I'm sorry."

I accepted her apology and handed her the device.

She looked me in the eye. "It will never happen again," she promised.

And I believed her. As she walked out of the room, it occurred to me how rare a conversation we had just had. Usually kids want to sulk or argue about how whatever they did was fine in the given situation, but she accepted responsibility for a mistake and promised not to repeat it.

Wow!
Middle school
educator
mind
blown!

No comments:

Post a Comment