Thursday, April 5, 2018

Penalty for Excessive Celebration

Around about lunchtime a mysterious hole appeared in the wall down the hall from my classroom.  "Do you know what happened?" asked a colleague.

"No," I told her, "I didn't hear a thing." We agreed that some angry kid had probably taken out his frustration on the wall, which is extremely rare in our school, probably because most of the walls are metal.

A couple of periods later, the phone rang. It was the assistant principal looking for a young lady in my class. When she finished her test, I sent her to his office. The bell rang, and she had yet to return, but my co-teacher poked her head in the door. "Did D go to the office?" she asked.

"Yes," I answered. "How did you know?"

"Because I saw her kick the hole in that wall right before lunch!" she reported. "She was shocked when her foot went through, but then she took off running."

A few minutes later, D returned. "I heard what happened!" I said. "Wow!"

She cast her eyes down, embarrassed.

"Did it hurt?" I asked.

"No," she shrugged.

"Why did you do that?" I asked.

"Because I was happy!" she said. "I got a good grade on my test!"

I gave her a double take and widened my eyes. "What did the assistant principal say?"

"He said, If that's you happy, I'd hate to see you mad!"

I laughed.

"And he gave me detention." she finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment