Monday, April 23, 2018

Blank Verse

Today was the hardest day of the annual poetry challenge... Shakespearean sonnets!

I love my students this year, but perseverance in the face of academic adversity is not a strong suit for the group. As such, there were complaints, and to amuse myself and demonstrate the meter, I answered them in iambic pentameter.

"Do not give up before you try the job!" I encouraged, counting syllables as I spoke. "I know it's hard, but you are well-prepared!"

And then as the day wore on, it seemed as if my entire discourse became blank verse.
You know that chewing gum is not allowed. 
New reading logs are over in the bin.
The poem you wrote is really pretty good.
A pencil is a must to bring to class.
Your iPad should be charging every night.
And finally?

"Why do we have to write this stupid poem?" I suggested as the first line of a Shakespearean rant sonnet to a verrrry frustrated kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment