Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Border Patrol

Sometimes the best-performing students think that they have earned the right to take liberty with classroom rules and procedures. I get it-- in a perfect world, people who usually understand the task at hand and do what they should would not necessarily have to stay in their seats and listen to directions.

And yet? In sixth grade? They do.

Although I try to keep my instruction brief and to the point so that I can check in with everyone as they work, I guess I wasn't quite succinct enough for a particular student today. She was out of her seat and interrupting me every thirty seconds. Finally, after re-directing her several times, I told her that if she got up one more time I would keep her for lunch detention AND email her parents.

It was this last threat that widened her eyes and closed her mouth. Later, when I stopped by to monitor her progress, my remark was still on her mind.

"You shouldn't threaten people like that," she told me.

"Okay," I shrugged, "next time I'll just give you the detention and send the email."

Her jaw dropped "You wouldn't!"

"I would."

"What would you even say in your email?" she asked in a tone that implied she expected to stump me.

"I would say, I'm writing to tell you that I kept Franny for lunch detention today because she was disruptive. She left her seat several times during instruction and her behavior was a distraction to herself and others," I rattled off a boilerplate message that I've sent a few times before.

"No!" she cried. "My mom would kill me!"

"Then stay. in. your. seat." I told her, "and you'll survive to learn another day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment