Saturday, April 14, 2018

Arigato Francis

Tonight was the family dinner for my brother's birthday. What can I say? The guy likes dumplings, and so as I was planning the menu, I figured a lobster potsticker might be a good appetizer. I have made filled wontons and dumplings in the past, and although they are generally successful, there have been some notable fails. Plus, I don't make them regularly enough to have a go-to recipe, or wrapper, or technique. As such, I did what many 21st century cooks do: I turned to the internet.

Recently, I noticed that whenever my sixth grade students search for something, they automatically start with images. To me that makes no sense whatsoever, but most of the kids in my class are very visual, and they are actually rather adept at finding useful information by clicking on a picture link. "Why do you do that?" I asked a student the other day.

"It's easier than reading," he told me.

Today I was looking for old-fashioned written recipes, and I had actually found a couple of promising leads, when I saw the website "Cooking with Dog". I couldn't end my search without at least a look there. It turned out to be a YouTube show hosted by a French Poodle named Francis. Francis narrates the videos in heavily accented English as a Japanese woman cooks from her kitchen. I know right? It's a nutty concept, but I must tell you, Francis and that lady really know their gyoza! There were several tips and tricks that helped me make some delicious potstickers.

And hey kids! I didn't have to read a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment