Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Education in Action

The subject of job openings came up in my intervention class this morning. One of the students wondered if the assistant principal who had taken over an unexpected vacancy in his elementary school would be the principal. "She will have to apply for the job," I told him, "but she might get it."

"I'm going to apply!" he said.

"You can apply," I told him, "but if you don't have the requirements you won't get very far."

"What about for teachers?" he asked.

"There are requirements for us, too," I answered.

"Is it a test?" he wanted to know.

"You have to have a license," I said, "and to get it you need to have a college degree AND pass a test."

"I think I could pass the test," he declared. "That should be enough."

"Talk to the state department of education," I laughed.

His tone changed. "How do I contact them?"

"They have a website," I answered helpfully, and gave him the address.

He spent a few minutes looking at it on his iPad. "Can I have some paper?" he asked. "I'm going to write them a letter explaining why I think they should change the rules."

I handed him some loose leaf.

"Do we have envelopes?" he checked, and when I gave him the thumbs up he added, "and stamps?"

"Yep," I confirmed.

"Good," he nodded, "because I have some strong supporting reasons and a lot of evidence. My letter is going to be very persuasive."

No comments:

Post a Comment