Monday, November 6, 2023

Extended Family

I was at a bit of a loss at the wake for Heidi's dad yesterday. Heidi stood by her mom receiving those who had come to pay their respects, while her brother greeted people at the door and roved the room talking to mourners he knew and recognized. There were plenty of comfortable chairs for me, and I did say hello to an uncle and a couple cousins, but it was Heidi's mom's sister and her family who came to my rescue. 

Kathy waved me over to sit in the chairs with them, and we chatted amiably and watched the slide presentation over and over. We also giggled every time a certain photo rolled past. Somehow a glamour shot of her had gotten mixed in with the family pictures that were scanned for the presentation, so every 10 minutes or so, in between all the pictures of Gary, we saw a soft-focus picture of Kathy from 30 years ago all done up and dressed in red feathers and sequins. 

At the end of the evening, I thanked her for keeping me company. "That's okay," she told me. "What are aunts for?"

No comments:

Post a Comment