Friday, November 24, 2023

The Right Fit

As we are inclined to do when on vacation, Emily and I speculated about what life might be like if we lived here on Topsail Island as we walked down the beach this morning. "You could be a turtle monitor," she suggested to me, "and walk the beach every morning looking for turtle tracks. That seems like something you would like."

I nodded in agreement. "I could also look for shell letters every day, and keep them sorted into 26 piles for future spelling projects," I laughed, stooping to examine a zigzaggy piece of coral. 

"You could have a little Etsy shop and take orders for custom signs," she said. "And maybe even branch out to other collections: woodlands, fields, you know."

"That would be fun! Maybe I could source my materials from specific locations, too. Then I could travel!" I replied, turning the coral over in my hand thoughtfully. "Does this look like an S to you?" I asked.

"Maybe," Emily answered skeptically, "if you turn it the right way? It all depends on the context."

"That's very true," I agreed and tossed it aside as we continued on in companionable silence, each scanning the sand for our own sort of treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment