Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Do I Know You?

A substitute walked into my room yesterday morning. "I'm here for your co-teacher," she said in a friendly and confident voice.

"Great," I answered, "but she has a homeroom of her own, so I won't see you until 8:30."

"Riiiight," she replied, "but I will see you soon!"

I was impressed again by her manner when she returned for first period. She was so helpful and engaged, both with the kids and my instruction.She also seemed very at home with me and the class. When it was time for her to go to her next period, I thanked her warmly. "Best sub ever!" I laughed, only half joking.

"I don't have a login," she told me as she picked up her bag, "so I couldn't get the announcements to work for homeroom this morning."

I nodded sympathetically.

"Was Annika on?" she asked. 

That's when it clicked! She seemed familiar, because she was the parent of a former student who is now in 8th grade. "No, she wasn't," I told her, "which is a shame, because I do love seeing the kids, especially after they leave my class."

"It's fun for me to see her when I'm here," she agreed, and I was able to nod with understanding. When she was gone, I wondered if she brought her daughter up so that I would know who she was. If so, I was grateful for her tactful approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment