Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Archaic

The suffix was -wise and the example word was clockwise in the vocabulary lesson I taught today.

"Do you know what that word means?" I asked the class, and most of the kids nodded. They understood that the hands on an analog clock go around in a certain direction, and so "clockwise" meant rotating to the right. They understood this, even though many of them were unable to actually tell the time using an analog clock. 

"It's too hard," explained one student. "I have to look at the numbers and the lines and count them."

"Yeah," one of her classmates agreed. "It takes a long time to figure it out."

I glanced at the clock and noted the time; it was automatic for me. "I guess knowing how to tell analog time is like speaking another language," I offered. "The more fluent you are, the easier it is to read. Then one day you don't even have to think about it anymore."

"But I can just look at my phone," the first student shrugged, and I wondered how long clockwise would stay in our language.

No comments:

Post a Comment