Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Parts Per Million

There seemed to be more masks than usual in school today, although I didn't really notice at first. It was more than half an hour into the day that I overheard two students talking about air quality. Listening to their conversation I realized that there was a whole environmental crisis brewing right outside of which I was not aware. 

How did I miss these wildfires in Canada? Why had I not questioned the smudgy red ember of the sun rising through the hazy morning? How could I overlook my sandy eyes and scratchy throat? Our air quality today was among the worst in the world, smoke from a thousand miles away casting a murky golden fog over our forecasted breezy blue skies. 

And now that I know it's here? I can't wait for it to be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment