Friday, June 30, 2023

Happy Trails

I confess my hopes were not high when we set off from the parking lot of Cacapon Statepark and up some stone steps to the head of the 1.5-mile Ridge Trail, described as a moderate loop by the WVDNR. Maybe I was thinking that last year at this time we were hiking up Gorham Mountain in Acadia National Park, winding up through a balsam wood to granite ledges where we could stop to admire the ocean view. Then we were even lucky enough to snag a few of the earliest blueberries ripening on the low bushes that lined the trail.

But as I set foot on the first sandy steps of this ridge trail, I noticed a few familiar shrubs along the way to the granite step-ups. "These look like blueberries," I said.

"They are blueberries!" Treat replied and turned around to show the little wild blueberry he held in his hand. As we climbed up the rocky ridge, the deciduous trees gave way to pines and the blueberries became more plentiful. We filled an empty bottle while a little stream gurgled below us, and while it wasn't Maine? I sure could not complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment