Monday, April 5, 2021

Fire to Light Our Tongues

April is National Poetry Month, and for me it's a bit like the flip side of October-- instead of chill air and ghost stories, every where I look is new life and, well, poetry. I spent the morning yesterday reading Naomi Shihab Nye, Marie Howe, and Dorianne Laux. The words just found their way onto my phone screen, so what could I do?

Tomorrow, I am introducing the April portion of the 100 Day Writing Challenge to my students, and can it be a surprise that our challenge is to write a different poem every day? A task that is daunting, but definitely doable, for any who are willing. Each day, a new form is introduced, along with models and some suggested tools. And, as Mary Oliver reminds us, "You do not have to be good." 

Nope, you just have to be willing.

With all that in mind, I sat down this evening to craft a set of instructions to help these young writers get their arms around the project. My directions started out quite matter-of-factly, but as I typed, the words seemed to veer off on their own. It is a poetry unit, after all; perhaps that's to be expected.

Here is the "Fine print" as I presented it to my class:

  • During the school week, challenges will be posted every 2 Days, and locked at midnight on the second day. 
  • Each assignment is either labeled "Required" or "Recommended" 
  • You will have some time in class to complete the required poems. 
  • Writers are encouraged to try as many poems as possible. 
  • There will be a test at the end of the unit. 
  • This challenge is both easier and harder than it looks. 
  • You will surprise yourself and love at least one of the poems you write. 
  • I believe in the poet in you.

See what I mean? 

1 comment:

  1. It all seems so doable! It's going to be a great month!

    ReplyDelete