Saturday, November 14, 2020

The New Necessary

As winter approaches, we usually deposit a pair of gloves or mittens in the pockets of each coat or jacket so that we are never caught without them on cold days. Last evening, as we headed down the street to an outdoor birthday party for an 8-year-old neighbor,  I dug my hands into the pockets of my vest and was pleased to find the gloves I had stuffed in there last year. The weather turned a little nippy after the sun set, and who wants cold fingers at a party? 

It turned out, I didn't need them. There were a few logs crackling in a portable fire pit in the center of the gathering. What I did need, though, I didn't have. Despite keeping social distance of six feet, everyone was wearing a mask. I had a gaiter around my neck, and I pulled it up over my mouth and nose, but it was rather uncomfortable for the length of time we were there. 

It had simply never occurred to me to grab one of the many masks we have in a basket by the door; even after six months of masking, some part of my reptilian brain must still be in denial. 

But when I got home? You can bet I added some masks to the mittens in my jackets.

No comments:

Post a Comment