Thursday, November 5, 2020

What They'd Rather

One of my online teaching hacks is to give the students a "chat snap" at the beginning of every class. This quick question is posted at the top of the agenda in our Learning Management System, and so students have to navigate from our call to that site, which is where I want them to end up anyway. Then they post their reply in the chat, so I know that they are both present and engaged. As they post, I or my co-educator reads the answers out loud, and we often ask follow-ups to make a connection with each student before the instruction begins. 

I try to make the question fun, but also relevant to the lesson in some way. So, for example when we were working on leads to hook their readers, the chat snap was to post the first sentence of their independent reading book. And when we were looking for topics for their food narratives, the question was, If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Yesterday and today the assignment was to begin the second quarter by reflecting on their writing from the first. The chat snap was, Would you rather be able to know the future or change the past? Why? My hope was to use our conversation as a hook for the notion of reflecting and setting goals, but also to be able to manage any anxiety about current events by saying, "Who doesn't want to know what's going to happen in the election?!"

Their answers were mostly of either the I'd go back and fix my mistakes variety or the I just want to know what's going to happen sort. The replies of the students in one of my sections, however, were notable in their responsibility and altruism. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but all but one of them were from families with parents who had moved to the United States from another country. 

Here's what some of them said:

change the past, so I can make peace and stop war

change the past and stop corona

know the future, because I want to see what the James Webb telescope can see in the universe when it launches next year

change the past and make COVID go away

change the past, because I can redo all the tests

go to the future and see what will happen to humanity and the earth

But don't worry! At least one of those writers had a very kid-like caveat:

also, stop homework from being invented.

No comments:

Post a Comment