Saturday, November 21, 2020

Tales from the Chat 2

Because of the way block scheduling works at our school, I teach four of my five sections alternating two and two every other day, but there is one class I see every day for half a block. Splitting the lesson and activities in a way that makes sense adds an extra layer of planning, but so far it hasn't been too bad. I do have to give that group two additional chat snaps every week, though, and that has led to some interesting conversations. 

For example, yesterday, since we were working on character traits, I asked them if they would consider themselves extroverts or introverts. I happen to have an assistant working with me in that class, and she and I have known each other for at least 20 years. She is an extrovert, and I am an introvert, something we have joked about a few times over the years. Before we read the answers, I asked the students to guess what we were. They knew Ms. P was an extrovert right away. "She's so smiley and friendly," one student said, "you can just tell!"

"What about me?" I asked. 

"You're definitely an extra!" one kid said. "You do everything in this class, and you are definitely always talking!"

"That's funny!" I said, "because that's just my teaching personality. Right Ms. P?"

"Oh yes!" she told them. "Ms. S is very quiet!"

Maybe because they've never met me in person, they were unconvinced. 

"Let's try to guess what the students are," I suggested to Ms. P. and we went down the list, making our predictions. Believe it or not, we got every single one right. I'd have to say we aced that formative assessment.

Sometimes it seems hard to believe that we are really reaching the kids we are teaching from a distance; getting to know them, making connections, and building bonds from so far away seems impossible. But there are small signs everywhere, you just have to check for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment