Monday, November 30, 2020

Season of Light

Just as expected, with Thanksgiving 2020 in the books, Christmas lights have started twinkling everywhere. Last night on a walk through the neighborhood we saw a dad and his perhaps three-year-old daughter strolling hand in hand admiring the decorations. "I'm just so excited!" the little girl cried, dropping her dad's hand and dashing forward. "Look! There's some more lights!"

I have to admit I understood the feeling. There is something quite thrilling about colorful lights, especially as the days grow shorter. Perhaps it is the promise of Christmas and all that holiday brings, but it could also be a little more primordial: in darkness we are drawn to the light. Tonight as we walked home from picking up Lucy, the full moon rising added even more spectacle to the array of shining snowflakes, glowing candy canes, brilliant icicles, bright trees, and even Yoda in a Santa hat. Undeniably, my step lightened and my mood lifted, and the hours spent in front of the computer dropped away.

Concerned, I turned to Heidi. "What are we all going to do in January?"

No comments:

Post a Comment