Friday, November 20, 2020

Tales from the Chat

When did we become such a people of indecision? Lately it seems that every answer the students give me begins with "It depends" or ends with "some where in the middle." It's so wishy washy!

For example, before we started our lesson on organizing an argument essay this week, I asked the kids to reply in the chat whether they thought they were organized or disorganized. A few students were willing to commit quickly and succinctly with one choice or the other, but most of them wanted to split some hairs, equivocating along the lines of what the situation was or how long it would take to become and/or stay organized. 

There were a couple of great answers though. One kid confessed that he was extremely disorganized, but he could always find whatever he needed. Speaking as one with a similar approach, it sounds like he has system, whether he knows it or not. 

Another boy wrote that he used to be disorganized, but that had changed. 

I asked him to unmute and elaborate. 

"Well," he started, "at the beginning of the school year everything was new and confusing." 

I nodded sympathetically. 

"Distance learning was hard," he continued, "and I lost track of some things. But now I'm really organized!"

"Wow! What changed?" I asked, impressed.

"I have some folders," he explained, "and my mom sits right next to me."

Now, she seems like a resolute person.

1 comment:

  1. I have at least one of those moms. Will they follow us back into the classroom when the time comes? They're super helpful.

    ReplyDelete