Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Good Genes

Richard and Annabelle had an argument while we were at the beach last week. They're teenagers and siblings, so it was bound to happen. "You got all the bad genes in the family!" Richard spat at his sister in the heat of the disagreement. 

I thought about his observation this evening when I called my aunt to catch up and wish her a belated Happy Thanksgiving. "I'm really sorry I'm calling so late in the weekend," I said. "I feel bad."

"Don't ever feel bad about that," she told me. "I am the world's worst caller! I have no place to complain."

"Well, I am the world's second worst caller, then!" I replied. "But it's nice to know that I come by it honestly."

As our conversation drew to a close I said, "Well, I'm going to let you go. I know it's your dinner time."

"That's right," she agreed. "We're having turkey noodle soup tonight."

"Does it have tomatoes in it?" I asked, because that's how my mom always made the soup after Thanksgiving.

"Oh, yes!" she answered. "It has to have the tomatoes!"

"Wait until I tell Courtney," I laughed, mentioning my sister. "She HATES the tomatoes in the turkey soup!"

"Where did we get her?" my aunt asked.

"I know," I said, "and she's a pretty good phone caller, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment