Sunday, November 15, 2020

The Will and the Way

I woke up stressing about the plants on my deck and the next unit in my English class. 

I usually bring my plants into my classroom for the winter: the wide windowsill and western exposure provide a perfect home for them in the cold, dark months of the year. Our house already feels stuffed to the seams with the addition of two working spaces and everything else we think we need to survive 2020, and I have been wrestling with the plant situation since September. And as an extra complication, our cat eats any non-toxic plant within her reach. Given those restrictions, where could they possibly go?

Fortunately, we have had a splendid fall, but rain tonight and the threat of frost on Tuesday forced my attention on finding the solution today. As it turned out? I simply needed to start carrying the smaller plants inside to find that we do actually have a place for them on the high shelf in the spare room. Once they were squared away, finding space for the larger plants was a bit more challenging, but manageable. I have great hope that all will successfully overwinter, surviving until we can move them outside again. And to be honest, their green is a vibrant addition to our indoor time. 

If I could only figure out how the students can team up virtually to make commercials in January, I might be able to sleep in a little tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment