Sunday, June 21, 2020

Reframing a Sprinkler Fail

I walked up to my garden today to make sure that everything was as set as it could be for a week away. I weeded and fertilized; inspired by Squanto, I applied some disgusting fish concoction on my three sisters mounds, and I have enormous hope that it will be just the thing. I also gave the whole plot a thorough watering using the sprinkler set-up I wrote of before, but also adding another watering spike I found tucked away in the back of the little shed I keep in the corner.

What may sound like a simple process, stick sprinkler in the ground, connect hose, was actually much more complicated. Several of my hoses have nozzles frozen on their threads, and so I had to pull out two short ones and hook them to the connector. Then it was a matter of adjusting the position, the spray, and the watering area, all while my other sprinkler was running.

Short story long? I got soaked! As I took several direct hits to the face, what an idiot I must have looked like to anyone on the other side of the chain link fence who cared to pay attention. At least the whole garden was getting watered.

And, once I was wet, I just plunged right in to the heart of the garden to do my fertilizing, becoming further drenched as I worked. Because I did not care: the sun was warm and a torpid little breeze just barely stirred the trees, and I had been sweating, but no more! Being wet was exhilarating, and I stayed even longer in the garden than I planned. There's a reason we used to play in the sprinkler when we were kids.

If the pool never opens this summer, I think I might have a lot of "watering" to do.

1 comment: