Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Kaboom

Lucy gave a low growl this afternoon, but before it turned into a full bark there was a crash from outside. When I flung open the front door, all the dogs in the neighborhood were barking and all the neighbors were stepping outside. "A tree!" called someone from her balcony, pointing at the narrow strip of woods across the way. "I saw it fall!"

Hearing her words, I realized that I had known what it was, even as I dashed outside to make sure nothing was damaged. And it wasn't. Despite the enormous boom, the tree we found tangled and dangling from its brethren was not even 12 inches in diameter, although it was at least 100 feet tall. Perhaps it was our collective imagination, but there seemed to be a discernible gap where once it stood in the tree line. And when we were all done marveling at the event and heading back into our houses, the neighbor across the way voiced the obvious. "Well," she said, "I guess we know what sound a tree makes when it falls in the forest."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so does Lucy! Glad nobody was hurt and nothing was damaged.

    ReplyDelete