Sunday, June 7, 2020

Zine Machine

Years ago we were in Philly for a long weekend when we stepped into a coffee shop for breakfast. We made ourselves comfortable in overstuffed chairs that would have fit in perfectly at Central Perk on Friends. Yes, it was a hipster place, and we were totally digging the hipster vibe, when I spotted an old cigarette vending machine across the room.

It was so retro, and I hadn't seen its like in a long time, so I went over to check it out. Inside were copies of self-published Zines, little mini-magazines by local artists and writers. I dug in my pocket for some change, bought a couple, and was utterly charmed as I read. "We need a zine machine at school!" I told Heidi.

Back at school, for a while anyway, I pushed to find an available vending machine that we could use for student writing, but as is the way of many of my good ideas, it just never happened. And now, for the last assignment of the year, I have borrowed a feature published on NPR (and found by my colleague Matt)-- a little how-to cartoon about creating a zine. I just know the kids who do it are going to make something special! Now about that vending machine...

2 comments: