Thursday, June 4, 2020

Rainmaker

I love watering my garden. I enjoy paying attention to each and every plant individually for those few seconds the shower of water is on them. But when it's dry, as it has been ever since I got my vegetables in, I worry that my plants are not getting a proper soaking.

I've had a few sprinklers and other watering systems over the year. Should I be embarrassed to report that I am usually drenched when I leave my garden? Irrigation design is not my forte (yet! See that growth mindset?). Anyhow, the other day at the garden center, a sweet purple number caught my eye and I decided to give a sprinkler another try.

Today was the day when I placed that sprayer in the corner of the beds, dragged my matching purple hose to the hydrant, and let her squirt. And with a very few adjustments, soon the majority of the garden was being well-watered. The sidewalk on the other side of the fence was also remaining dry, which I'm sure all the passers by appreciated.

It was a good set up, but not perfect. So I dug up a splitter, hooked up another hose, and did a little manual supplementary watering. Between the sprinkler and my TLC, everything was damp and looking happy when I left a little while later.

And now that everything is all set? I'm sure those predicted thunderstorms will show up.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, of course... and what a storm it was! But now the ground beneath your plants is not so rock-hard dry and a little sprinkling will go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Afterthought: In the same way that you pay attention to each and each individual plant in your garden when you water, I've noticed you paying attention to each and every student in your classroom. They notice, too.

    ReplyDelete