Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Pivot Point

There was a thread of anxiety that ran through every single one of my meetings today. Even as we work to organize the end of this pandemic-interrupted school year and scramble to plan the next amid so many variables and uncertainties, our nation is in turmoil. Whether or not a straight line can be drawn from the unrest to our personal lives, no one I spoke to today was not unsettled by the events unfolding a few miles away and all over the country.

Everyone's a total wreck.

Personally, I feel weighed down by a heavy, heavy sense of history. I imagine how future documentaries will breezily summarize these days, these very days, 10, 20, 50, 100 years from now, and while I am still around to watch them, the lump in my throat as I relive them 60 minutes at a time.

Will I feel distress, disbelief,  renewed outrage, nostalgia, or all of the above?

Honestly?

I don't care, as long as in the end I am happily reminded of all the lessons we learned and the positive changes we made as a result of our this trauma.

2 comments:

  1. I have hope we will make positive changes- it feels different this time. And hey, at least we’re all wrecks together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the lessons... as documented here in this blog! And yes, it's been a very stressful week.

    ReplyDelete