Saturday, June 20, 2020

Hail Mary

A light drizzle could not deter me from my appointed destination this afternoon. My friend Mary had forwarded some information about the great Georgia peach road trip, and I had pre-ordered my half bushel right away, especially since the stop was at a garden center right up the hill from us.

From folding tables beneath a collapsible canopy, two young men efficiently worked to hawk and deliver their wares and in less than five minutes I had my freestones and was headed home. Oh, those 72 peaches were refrigerator-cold and hard as rocks, but I read my info card carefully, and with 6 dozen greenish-pink little fist-sized fruits clenched on the counter, I choose to be confident that they will be on their way to perfectly ripe in just a couple days.

Peaches, anyone?

2 comments: