Friday, February 15, 2019

Silver Linings Playbook

That one section of my class that has been consistently the most challenging all year is fortunately the period of the day when I have the most support. It is co-taught by me, a special education teacher, and an English language learner support teacher. Even so, that particular group gives the three of us a run for our money almost every day.

Now that I have a student teacher working with us, too, it finally seems that the adults are gaining the upper hand. Because there are so many other professionals working with the class, I am often not the one providing direct instruction. Such was the case a couple of days ago when my intern was teaching the lesson.

I was in one corner of the room using my presence to manage the 8 students over there, and my co teachers were strategically standing in other parts of the room, too. After the lesson when the students began working independently, the four of us moved through the room, helping and redirecting the kids as they collaborated in small groups to analyze and evaluate some commercials. Later, when the students had gone on to their electives, we congratulated each other on the success of the class.

"It was almost like we were choreographed," said one of my colleagues.

"No, it was more like a basketball play!" I said. "In fact, " I added, warming up to the analogy, "we should have a playbook! We can screen, pic and roll, isolate the shooter, double team, slide the zone... oh my gosh! It will be a teacher best seller!"

No comments:

Post a Comment