Thursday, February 14, 2019

Power of the Pup

Lucy and I were on the return leg of our quick morning walk when we heard a mournful wail coming from down some stairs. Lucy froze, and I tugged impatiently at her leash as a young family lumbered into the parking lot. We often see these two tiny girls and their mom and dad in the morning as they head to their car to start the day, but this time the oldest little girl, who can be no more than 3, was sobbing as she walked. Spotting a floppy red dog sitting on the sidewalk with concern, she slowed her pace a bit.

"She's so worried because she heard you crying!" I said.

The tears stopped immediately. There was even a little smile across her pink cheeks as she reached a chubby hand toward Lucy's full body wag.

"It's Valentine's Day!" I told her. "Nobody should be sad today!"

As the little family continued silently toward the car, I was quite certain her parents agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment