Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Snow Goggles

Sometimes when I take Lucy out in the morning our one-on-one time is interrupted when she slams her nose to the ground and pulls me in the direction of some invisible trek. So single-minded is she that even treats can't break her concentration; I hop along scooping up the expensive, "high-value" nuggets that she spits on the pavement. "You don't understand!" says the look she gives me when I tug sharply on the leash, and I have to admit she's right.

This morning when we stepped out our door the world was hushed and muffled in the snow that had begun falling at dawn. No one else was about, and ours were the only footsteps in the powder that covered our way until we got to the hill in the back of our complex. This time, when Lucy's nose hit the ground, I saw what she was after. Boot prints and dog prints meandered along the edge of the woods and up to the bushes.

"Who is that?" I asked her, and she wagged her tail and came over to me.

A little further down it was a set of rabbit tracks hopping up to the pool gate that drew her attention. "Bunnies!" I said, and she was ready to keep going.

Next a bright spray of yellow snow caught her nose, and she turned to look at me. "I know!" I told her. "Someone peed!" And it was clear to both of us that we were connected by more than the leash.

No comments:

Post a Comment