Friday, September 28, 2018

Breaking Bird

I knew it was out there.

On my way into the building yesterday a couple of sixth graders careened down the sidewalk toward me on a... scooter!

"Boys!" I said sharply, stepping in front of them with my hand raised, the very image of the fun scooter police.

To their credit? They stopped immediately.

"First," I said, "you should be wearing helmets. Secondly? Riding double is not allowed. And finally-- you have to be 18 with a driver's license to get one of these! Where did this come from?"

"My brother got it for me," answered one.

"Well, all I'm saying is that if the resource officer caught you guys riding this, you could get in some trouble," I told them.

"Thank you for the warning," the same student answered, and they walked the scooter slowly away.

Later that afternoon, I told my friend Mary the story.

"I still haven't ridden one of those!" she said.

I pulled out my phone and launched the app. "Now's your chance! It's still outside! And out we went.

A few fat drops of rain were splashing on the pavement as we pushed our way through the heavy glass doors. It took us a minute to find the scooter, because the boys had evidently tossed it to the ground after our conversation. Fortunately the app has a locator chirp, and although it was drizzling, we picked it up, and Mary took a quick spin. "Wheeeeeeeee," she called as she zoomed past, and I knew that she got it. A few minutes later, we locked the Bird, and propped it against the school.

It was on the sidewalk again when I left yesterday evening in the pouring rain, and still there when I walked in this morning. At 1 pm, after a long day of teaching, and before a long afternoon of planning and paperwork and meeting, it occurred to me that it was probably still there.

Brain break! I thought.

20 minutes and 2 miles later, I re-entered the building with a smile on my face, good to go for another 4 hours.

1 comment:

  1. A perfect brain break! I see lots of scootering coming my way!

    ReplyDelete