Thursday, September 6, 2018

My Life as a Book

To help my students make the connection between reading and writing and to also gather ideas for the short personal narratives they will soon write, I give them the following prompt: If your life were a novel, what would the plot be?

The exercise also helps with the skill of synopsizing (which my family will tell you I learned a little late in life!), and, as a bonus, the kids' answers can be very revealing.

As usual, I did the assignment, too. This is not what I wrote, but I sure could have.

It's about a sixth grade English teacher who has a lot of students, but she still wants to do a really, really good job, and lots of people say to "work smarter not harder" but she's not sure what that means, and since it's just the third day of school she's just trying to learn 137 new names and make sure she has enough chairs for everyone.

(Spoiler Alert: I'm sure it will have a happy ending!)

No comments:

Post a Comment