Saturday, September 15, 2018

Peter Piper, Inc

"Wow! You're kitchen is a lot bigger than you'd think" one of our neighbors said yesterday at the open house. She looked around. "And really full of produce."

She was right. There was a half bushel of tomatoes, 3 eggplant, and a big container of banana peppers that I had picked to rescue from the rain, along with the usual onions, garlic, potatoes, avocados, lemons, and limes. "I know!" I agreed, "but I have plans for all of it."

Part one of my plan was having my banana pepper pesto on the table, and the offer of as many peppers as our guests would like to take home with them as parting gifts.

"You gotta try the pesto," I told everyone. "It tastes like a hoagie!"

"What's gahogi?" someone asked in confusion.

I laughed. "I said like. a, hoa. gie," I repeated slowly. "Y'know what they call subs in Philly?"

"Oooooh," she laughed, too. "I thought it was like the sixth taste-- the one after Umami."

"It should be!" I answered. "How many peppers would you like?"

No comments:

Post a Comment