Saturday, September 29, 2018

Serial Advice

Serial, the granddaddy of all podcasts for me, is finally back for a third season. I must confess that I was a little disappointed with the premise at first: rather than examine a questionable murder conviction, or even a high-profile military desertion, this season is focused on the criminal court system in...

Cleveland.

I needn't have worry, though, in less than 5 minutes of the first episode, I was totally on board, and after episode 2? I am hooked. 

To begin with, I had almost forgotten what a fantastic writer and amazing reporter Sarah Koenig is, but more importantly, using Cleveland Criminal Court (mostly because they allow recording) as a microcosm for the American court system turns out to be genius. Race, age, class, and gender all collide in a provocative and sometimes disturbing portrait.

On a personal note, the second episode reminded me that scolding is usually no more than a catharsis for the scolder; such lectures seldom benefit the scoldee. As a 6th grade teacher, that is a lesson I learned many years ago, but seems extremely timely this school year, when scolding a few kids for some of the more egregious antics has seemed pretty tempting in the moment. But venting frustration and building constructive relationships are not usually compatible, and anyone in authority should know that it's the second that is necessary for lasting change.

No comments:

Post a Comment