Sunday, September 30, 2018

Dark Skies

Soul crushing is how a friend described the month-long rain storm that was September, and I had to agree. In general, the weather doesn't bother me, but 26 days and 9 inches of rain were an exception to that rule.

The politics of the moment do nothing to lift my mood. I'm from the DC area; I went to private school and college in the 70s and 80s; I know how the parties were and what the yearbook codes meant. In addition, the nasty polarization and high stakes of every situation, and this one in particular, takes it toll.

I believe the pervasive national climate of hatred and distrust are beginning to show up in my students, although my evidence is purely anecdotal. It feels like there is much less courtesy toward peers and respect for authority in the group of sixth graders I have now, along with more anger and more needs. Even in our wealthy district, our students can simply not escape the dark clouds immigration concerns, police violence, economic uncertainty, and the opioid crisis, and so of course there will be storms in school.

The sun was out this weekend, and I spent time outside with my dog. I played with my kittens, cooked some good food,  and this morning I laughed out loud at a silly skit from Saturday Night Live that had nothing to do with politics.

I guess the best way to cope with the storm is to put up your umbrella, keep going, and keep a lookout for blue skies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment