Saturday, July 1, 2023

And So It Grows

The clouds were heavy and thunder rumbled as I spun the numbers on the garden gate's lock this afternoon. In the first hours home from a summer vacation there are always a couple of must-dos, pet the cats, open the mail, unpack my part of the travel supplies (downstairs and the kitchen), and check on the garden. 

This time of year, being away is always a thrilling balance between worrying about the well-being of the plants and being eager to see what growth there has been in the time we've been gone. Today was a particularly rewarding check-in: I harvested a quart of green beans, a couple of zucchini and a yellow squash, and 10 cherry tomatoes. In addition, I clipped a pretty bouquet of purple coneflower, orange mini sunflowers, and red zinnia. 

As the first fat drops of the impending thunderstorm began to fall, I hastened to the gate, grateful for both the crops in my hands and the rain that was about to nourish my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment