Wednesday, November 3, 2021

I May Know a Thing or Two about Writing

In sixth grade English, the first assignment of the quarter is always a reflection on the writing done in the weeks behind us. In order to help the young writers analyze their own writing critically, I take some time to give them my own perspective on areas of strength and places to improve. I put my observations in writing on the comments of their last summative assignment of the quarter, and I invite them to consider my perspective when forming their own evaluations. 

Some do, some don't. A few are actually very perceptive and take the time to offer evidence and reasoning, without prompting, to support their judgments. And it's a good thing they do, because they will be assessed on their analysis. 

One particularly serious student shook her head in wonder this morning as she reviewed her writing. "I think I'm going to get a better grade on my reflection about my writing than I got on my actual writing!" she marveled.

"That's a good step toward better writing in the future!" I told her. "What's your goal going into the second quarter?"

"I'm going to dig deeper and find more meaningful topics!" she declared.

I smiled. That's just what I suggested.

No comments:

Post a Comment