Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Cash Economy

We headed over to the "big city" of Rehoboth Beach this afternoon to grab lunch and shop some of the stores that were open on the main street of town. At lunch, Bill and Emily and Heidi discussed their displeasure with the Christmas music that dominated the restaurant's sound system. "It's not like there is even a wide variety of songs," Heidi complained. "There are just a few, and almost everybody sings them the same way."

"They should play Ray Conniff," Bill joked. "Nothing sounds like that!"

"They do have an iconic sound," I agreed.

A little while later I was browsing through some bins of old LP records outside Gidget's Gadgets and I came across an album by none other than that incomparable chorale. The price was right, too, one buck. When I showed it to Heidi, she was not impressed however, and I did not have any cash on me. "Don't you have dollar?" I asked plaintively. "Pleeeeeaaaaase?"

"I'm looking!" she answered, sharply.

"I have a dollar if you guys need one," a helpful voice interrupted from my left. I turned to find a friendly boy of about 15, reaching into his wallet.

"Okay!" I said.

"No!" Heidi said, handing me a folded single.

"Are you sure?" the kid said.

"Yeah," I laughed, "but thanks anyway! That was really nice of you."

I was still laughing as we went inside to pay. "That guy was going to give me a dollar if we didn't have one!" 

Heidi shook her head. "Mmm hmm," she said. "That is some sad shit."

No comments:

Post a Comment