Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Fine-tuning

Teacher-for-a-day has not been quite as successful this year as it has in the past, which is hardly surprising, considering that many would say teaching in general has not been as successful this year as it has in the past. 

Even so, a lesson today was just too short to be a hit, but it was designed by a student who really did her best, so I turned off my mic and camera and let her present  five slides on drawing an ice cream cone. I learned along with the class, completing all the activities with enthusiasm, as I do with all the lessons, and when we got to the end with a simple ice cream cone drawn on my paper and no assessment in sight, I unmuted. "Why don't we all color these as our favorite kind of ice cream cone and post photos of them in the chat?" I suggested. It was what I would have done if I had underplanned the lesson (which happens more often than you might think).

Fortunately? The teacher liked my idea, and her comments as she moderated the drawings really ended the lesson on a positive note. And later, when I read through the feedback before sending her a summary, I was pleased to see that all the kids enjoyed the activity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment