Monday, June 7, 2021

New Habits Die Hard

I spent around 3 hours today sitting with my friend Mary in front of the school in lawn chairs. We were there to give out prizes to the students who had met the monthly writing challenges over the last 99 days. It was a pleasant way to wile away a morning in early June, sitting in the shade of the building with a light breeze keeping the steadily climbing heat from becoming too oppressive. 

And of course, there were the kids-- what fun to meet dedicated writers I've never had the pleasure of teaching in person! They were pleased as well with the token prizes, mere symbols of their accomplishment and discipline. 

One mom asked if she could take a picture of me with her son, and I was happy to oblige. As we stood side by side, he reached over and put an arm around my shoulder. It made me laugh, so I hope the photo was good. As he turned to leave, I congratulated him one more time and stuck out my hand to shake his. His eyes widened above his mask, and he quickly pivoted and offered me his elbow.

"Safety first!" he cautioned.

"You just had your arm on my shoulders!"I told him as I bumped my elbow to his. "I thought a handshake would be okay!"

No comments:

Post a Comment