Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Getting Warmer

For the attendance chat snap today I asked my students if they would rather be too hot or too cold. With only about 60% reporting (block scheduling!) the results are 32 cold to 15 hot. It was not what I would have predicted; in the past, most of my students have been heat seekers. "Maybe since it's just the beginning of winter, people are feeling kindly about the cold?" I suggested to my co-teacher. "If we ask again in March, will they be wishing for warmer days?"

But on this cold night, we are having a warm and homey dish of lentils, rice, and smoked sausage along with some homemade sourdough bread and a salad for dinner tonight. It's the salad that takes a star turn here, but mostly because of a supporting member. The tomato wedges that accompany the arugula, watermelon radish and olives are among the last from our garden. That's right! On December 8, we still have a couple quarts of homegrown tomatoes.

And just the other night on a FaceTime call with my brother and sister, Bill filled us in on a few of the many wonders he and Emily have observed in their Covid quest to walk every single street of our fair county. Among the unexpected charms, they have also lately seen daffodils, forsythia blooming, and cherry blossoms. "It's disturbing," my brother shook his head. "It's hard to shake the feeling that something is very wrong with the planet."

No comments:

Post a Comment