Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Uff Da

Minnesota is well known for the pleasant public nature of its denizens, but last night at the airport the "Minnesota Nice" was fraying a little bit. The addition of spring break and NCAA final four travel to the regular traffic at MSP flooded the curbsides of the arrivals area with weary travelers and harried drivers struggling to connect, load up, and head out.

That's where I found myself in the dusky late evening. Standing on tip toe, I jostled for position and scanned four lanes of braiding traffic for one dark gray Toyota with my mother at the wheel. Twice I grabbed my bag and dashed toward some promising sedan, only to be disappointed. As for my mom, she had to loop around twice, because it was so hard to spot me in the crowd.

As I waited, I witnessed many rushed reunions, and if anyone lingered a little too long in the loading lane, someone on the curb would grumble. Once, I even heard an open gripe and the beep of a horn, but just once.

No comments:

Post a Comment