Saturday, April 27, 2019

Preventative Measures

I was disappointed when I tried to get advance tickets to the last Avengers movie. Three weeks out, there were already no decent seats in any theaters at a good time for the entire opening weekend. After a little consideration, I resigned myself to seeing it the following weekend.

Well, I thought I had made peace with the situation until the press machine shifted into high gear earlier this week. After reading and hearing all about the movie, I began to regret having to wait. In desperation, I searched again for tickets, and this time miraculously hit on an empty theater at an ideal time. Feeling like I won the lottery, I snagged the third row center seats for a Saturday afternoon screening and instantly began counting the days.

For the first summer blockbuster of the year, showtimes began Thursday evening ahead of the formal Friday opening, and some of my students were there. Once the movie screened, the closely-guarded plot twists were available to anyone who wished to spoil the story, and so going to school on Friday was a perilous experience. More than once I stuffed my fingers in my ears and loudly chanted la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la. I also threatened dire consequences to any blabbermouth who might ruin the movie, and when at last we left the building at 4:30 yesterday, I was confident that my experience would be pristine.

And it was! Although some of the plot points were predictable, I never knew what was going to happen. I spent the full three hours enjoying the experience, which is fortunate, because it would have been impossible to go back to school until I'd seen the movie for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment