Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Play it Again

Sometimes when I am watching recorded TV I forget that I can skip the commercials. The ads just kind of wash over me, as they have for most of my life: some are more engaging than others; none actually make me want to buy anything.

Occasionally, there will be a commercial that will date the original broadcast and fix it in a particular time, which is definitely not when I am watching it. At such times I experience a slight sense of being in two times at once, a milder version of the cognitive dissonance I imagine a real time traveler might feel.

Scenes of news or weather events in the past, holidays, and seasons gone by make me consider where I was and what was happening in my life when the recording first aired and what has changed since then. And for a moment I am lost, until the bittersweet tang of nostalgia slaps me to my senses and I hit fast forward, catapulting myself back to the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment