Friday, April 5, 2019

Respect the Boundaries

As I stepped onto the elevator to go to my hotel room after an unexpectedly long day, I heard someone shout, "Wait!"

Two boys of perhaps eleven or twelve were already in the car when I boarded, and they obligingly held the door for a women and another kid around their age.

I had pressed 8, the boys had 9, and the women asked for 2. On our short journey up, one of the boys said to the other, "We have to go to eleven to get my shoes, then we can go to your room to--"

The women shook her head. "You all are so bad!" she scolded them.

"What??" they looked at her innocently.

"Well for starters, the last time we were on here together, you pushed all the buttons."

They laughed. The elevator dinged. The lady and the kid with her got off.

"Should we?" one of the remaining boys said to the other.

I eyed them, levelly. "If you do? I'll kick you!" I told them.

"What?" said the kid by the buttons.

"Well," I amended, "I'll kick you," I looked at the shoeless one next to him, "but I'll stomp on your toes."

They gasped, then giggled. The elevator dinged again, and we were on my floor.

"Now, you can press any button you want!" I told them.

"Really?" asked one.

Sure," I shrugged, "I'm not going be on here."

His fingers ran up and down the column of buttons, illuminating each and every one. "Have a nice day!" he called after me as I stepped off. "I mean, have a nice rest of your day!"

And the funny thing was, I knew he really meant it.

No comments:

Post a Comment