Friday, April 19, 2019

Journeys

Air travel gives lie to the aphorism about journeys and destinations: it's rare that I step on a plane without looking forward to disembarking. Having flown back and forth from the Twin Cities twice in the last few weeks, I have become quite a fan of those little inflight entertainment screens. There is nothing like watching a trashy movie to wile away the flight time.

Plugging in my earbuds and settling back as the opening credits roll on a movie that Heidi and I have chosen to skip reminds me a little bit of the bygone days of air travel when a single movie was screened for all. Back then, when we lived overseas, any movie they happened to show was new to us, and I was often riveted by films I never would have paid to see. Those movies, not a single one of which I can recall at the moment, also helped pass the time away until we landed and resumed our lives.

Tonight, my choice was The Notebook, a 2004 film that almost everyone except me has seen. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling were beautiful babies in their 20s back then, and the tale of Ally and Noah was engaging in its melodrama. I was actually happy that our flight time was longer than scheduled, because I got so close to the ending before my screen went dark. By then, it was James Garner and Gena Rowland whose fate was in the balance, but I still came home and Netflixed those last 12 minutes, and it was with a tear in my eye for all the journeys that ended tonight that I sat down and began to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment