Monday, April 29, 2019

Golf Clap

I ran into four of my male colleagues congratulating themselves on their performance in a student-staff football game today.

"I'm guessing you guys won?" I said.

"Sometimes you have to take the 8th graders down a peg!" one of them explained.

The others laughed.

Do you? I thought. Do you?

Would the math teacher show a student how much quicker he could solve a problem?

Would the social studies teacher feel the need to demonstrate his superior knowledge of history?

Would the IB coordinator want the students to focus on just how little they understand compared to him?

Would the assistant principal want students to exclude younger kids because they don't add anything to the group?

Since they are all very good educators, I'm guessing the answer is No.

Then why is it such a victory for a group of men to beat 13 and 14 year old boys on a football field?

No comments:

Post a Comment