Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Pink and Brown

"There's our new Dunkin Donuts," my mom pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago when i was visiting. Two squat earth tone cubes adorned with bright pink and orange Ds occupied the corner to our right. "It's big news around here."

She was right, because on the way from the airport the other day, her friend remarked on the place as well. "Have you seen our new Dunkin Donuts?"

"It's just called Dunkin now," Heidi replied with information I was totally unaware of.

To be honest, I was considering the last time I had been in a Dunkin Donut. It had been a while, but I did remember the first time I was in one.

The chain came to our New Jersey area when I was 8 or so. The nearest one was about 20 minutes away, but located near the station of the High Speed Line train that my dad sometimes took to work. If he was running too late to catch the bus in the morning, my mom would throw us in the car to drop him off, and our reward was sometimes a trip to Dunkin Donuts.

We always got the same thing-- peanut donuts, which were a novelty back in those days of jelly, glazed, or powdered. And if my dad needed a ride from the station at night? Well, Baskin Robbins was right there, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment