Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Stay a While

The day began with defiance. One of my homeroom students refused to put his winter coat in his locker, even though we had discussed it yesterday. "I'm just going to say 'No' to that," he told me.

"Then you're just going to have go to the office and talk to the assistant principal about it," I answered.

"I'm going to stay here with my coat on," he said firmly.

We were at an impasse, and so I called the AP. When she arrived, she had a similar conversation, except that hers ended when the bell rang. "I'm just going to go to my next class with my coat on," the student said as he walked out the door.

Tensions were high, but the situation was above my pay grade and out of my hands, and I had another class to teach. I looked up to see that a few kids had entered the room and had been watching the drama unfold, including one kid who had given me a lot of pushback about his coat the day before.

He caught my eye as he headed for the door. "I'm just going to put my coat in my locker," he assured me.

"Good decision!" I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment