Tuesday, November 27, 2018

And a New Building on the Side

They've been building an elementary school about 20 yards from my classroom window for the last year or so. The building is scheduled to open next September, but right now it's a fascinating tangle of steel beams and back hoes, which are way more captivating than the ginormous hole in the ground that was the site last school year. The work also invites a daily parade of colorful construction crew members and their unusual tools and tasks right by my window the entire time I'm teaching.

My co-teacher pulled the blinds on the show this afternoon, and I understand why he did that, but I'm also of the mind that if children are never distracted, they will never learn to focus. Plus we have plenty of distraction in the classroom, too: we can't block it all out for them.

Even so, the adults that gathered in my room for our semi-monthly leadership team meeting were drawn to the spectacle, too. When the last two teachers left after the meeting, one turned to me with a mock bow. "Thank you for letting us meet in your room," she started. "You are always the host with the most..." She paused, looking for the perfect compliment. Just then the room shook from some epic construction task.

"The most activity outside my window?" I supplied for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment